XML VARA Objects
XML VARA objects let you store complex data as XML structures. This data can then be referenced and used in PromptSet objects, in Script objects, and other script contexts system-wide. XML VARA objects can have any number of keys. The value of each key is a structured XML.
XML VARA objects allow you to retrieve a list of Variable object values. Use the PREP_PROCESS_VAR and PREP_PROCESS_VAR_XML script function to access all or several particular entries of a variable. This prepares the processing of a data sequence.
Defining XML VARA Objects
An XML VARA object definition is made up of the following pages:
Common to all object types, here you define basic object information and apply custom values to it
Here you define the object-specific settings. Some sections on this page are common to all VARA objects and are described for all of them in dedicated topics:
Common to all object types, here you find a list of all versions of the object
Common to all object types, here you enter information that you consider important to understand the configuration and behavior of the object
- You can use XPath expressions with the XML VARA objects. Depending on the database with which the Automic Automation system is used, individual XPath expressions may work differently. In such cases, check with the database vendor.
- If you use the Automic Automation with an Oracle database, the attribute values of XML data should not contain more than 4000 characters.
- XML data can use only character encoding that is compatible with the character encoding in the database connection.
- Use PromptSet variables here when you use the Dynamic Reload (Combobox Prompts) feature for combo box prompts. The PromptSet variables are resolved when the object that includes the PromptSet is executed.
On this page you define the keys and values of the XML VARA object.
- Use the buttons on the toolbar to add, edit, duplicate and remove keys
- Select a key and enter the XML structure for that key in the left pane
An XML VARA object called SRV.VARA.XML has a key called SERVER NAMES with the following value:
To read the single values from the XML, you use the GET_VAR script function with XQUERY expressions:
:set &name# = GET_VAR('HAM.VARA.XML','TESTSERVER','/SERVERS/SERVER/@NAME')
:set &ip# = GET_VAR('HAM.VARA.XML','TESTSERVER','/SERVERS/SERVER/IP/text()')
:p &name# &ip#
The output is as follows:
U00020408 TestServer1 192.168.0.1
- Define the XML Variable Settings. They are identical to those of STATIC VARA objects. For a detailed description, see In the Variable Settings section, specify the following:.
- Define the Script Access.
- If you are logged in to Client 0, an additional section is available. For more information, see Client 0 VARA Objects in Other Clients.
Script Elements for XML VARA Objects
The following script elements are available for STATIC and XML variables:
- :PUT_VAR - Stores values in static variables.
- :PUT_VAR_COL - Stores a value in a specific column of a static Variable object.
- :DELETE_VAR - Deletes one or all values of a static variable.
Watch this video to learn how to use STATIC and XML VARA objects to configure Workflows: Watch the Video: Configuring Workflows with VARA objects